Tuesday, February 7, 2017

La La Land (2016)

Director: Damien Chazelle

Stars: Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Rosemarie DeWitt, J.K. Simmons, John Legend

Mia, an aspiring actress, serves lattes to movie stars in between auditions and Sebastian, a jazz musician, scrapes by playing cocktail party gigs in dingy bars, but as success mounts they are faced with decisions that begin to fray the fragile fabric of their love affair, and the dreams they worked so hard to maintain in each other threaten to rip them apart.

First of all, I am not a fan of most musicals, but there are several that I do enjoy. I did not see where this movie should be considered a musical. It does not fit that well in the category. The songs in a musical help tell more of the story of the movie or tell more about the characters. They help with the movie, not just there for really no reason at all. I know there are songs in some musicals like that, but this one is filled with it. I mean there are only a few songs in the movie. I think that the songs should have taken out, and this just be a drama about a relationship. I think it would have been a better movie.

The story for this movie was not bad at all. It just seems like it is somewhat close to the story of another movie, but this was not as violent of a movie. I mean Blue Valentine which Ryan Gosling was in as well. I liked the story, but it just feels a bit stale and too Hollywood. Most people do not understand the affects of living in Hollywood, being in the business and dealing with a relationship in Hollywood. That concept is so foreign to you average every day person living in this country.  

The production of the movie was beautiful. The color usage in the movie reminded me of the musicals of the 50's and 60's. There were so many scenes that were bright and vivid with the colors of the backdrops. I loved the way this movie looked.

The cast for the movie was good, but I just do not think that the performances were up to that par for all of these award nominations. Ryan Gosling acted the same as he does in many of the movies that he is in. Emma Stone was really good in this movie. I think she was the best in the movie. J.K. Simmons was not in this movie much at all, but he lets down a performances at all. He is always good.

I do not understand all of the awards that this movie is getting. I do not feel that it is up to par with past movies that have won these honors. I guess this was one of the movie that was just good enough to be nominated for awards. Most of the movies that have been nominated or won a Golden Globe or Oscar have not been that good at all. I guess the new way of Hollywood actors and movie makers are not near as good as the last bunch.

This movie is worth watching once, and that is about it. I did not find the movie that good at all. I was not blown away by the movie. Just watch the movie to see how you liked it. Enjoy.

La La Land (2016) Trailer

No comments: