Saturday, November 12, 2016

Searching for Sugar Man (2012)

Director: Malik Bendjelloul

Stars: Rodriguez, Stephen 'Sugar' Segerman, Dennis Coffey

Documentary following two South African fans of the 1970s musician Rodriguez, as they unravel the mystery of what happened to the singer. Most famous for the classic song 'Sugar Man', Rodriguez never enjoyed much commercial success in his home country, but became a phenomenon in South Africa, where he was considered on a par with Bob Dylan and The Beatles. Rumored to have committed suicide onstage in the 1970s, his story has been shrouded in mystery for decades. The film follows the fans as they unearth clues, and follow the trail around the world to discover what happened to this mysterious and talented artist.

I really had no idea how this was going to be. I stayed away from it for a while. This is a wonderful documentary about a man that I had never heard of before. Then I find out that most people in the US had not heard of him. I was just so impressed with this movie. I learned so much about the artist, and they played music from his first two albums. The flow of the movie was great. I did not lose interest in it at all. Not even for a moment.

If you have not heard of Rodriguez or his music, then you really need to. It is incredible. It is folk music, but you still need to give it a listen to. I was just so surprised by how good it was.


This movie was made so well and solid. There was not even a flaw in this movie at all. This is one that you guys need to watch. I'm not kidding folks. It is so well worth watching. Enjoy.



Searching for Sugar Man (2012)

No comments: