Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Scum (1979)

Director: Alan Clarke

Stars: Ray Winstone, Mick Ford, Julian Firth

Carlin is sent to a borstal to change his wicked ways. Instead, the guards and other inmates encourage him to become even more violent and anti-social.

I know this is a cult movie that is well liked and loved. I just do not see it that way. I'm sure that when the movie was released it was a shocking piece of film. The problem for me was the fact that by today's standards it is pretty weak. I was just expecting so much more. I was wanting this brutal violent movie that was going to make me at least flinch a bit. I wanted to flinch. I wanted to see something that was going to freak me out or shock me into laughter. I got none of that. I was expecting balls to the wall rape scenes, tortures and beating. There was so little violence in the movie that it was just dull to me.

The acting in this movie was really good. I was impressed by the performances. This was a low budget movie that worked out well. The rooms and the sets looked like any old office building. Offices looked like this with the blank men's restrooms. The sets could have been better, but it was a low budget movie. That is what you get.


I just was not that happy with this movie at all. I know that this movie is loved by many. I just did not see it. I just wanted more and more. I do not see the cult following of this movie. It is worth watching once, but I just do not see it as a rewatcher. Enjoy.



Scum (1979) Trailer
Scum (1979) Full Movie

No comments: