Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Ray (2004)

Director: Taylor Hackford

Stars: Jamie Foxx, Regina King, Kerry Washington, Terrence Howard

Legendary rhythm and blues singer Ray Charles' life transpires on-screen, from his humble beginnings in Georgia, where he went blind at age seven, to his pre-fame life touring the South, and on to his career as one of the most enduring, inimitable performers in modern music.

If you are a fan of Ray Charles, you should watch this movie, but you probably already have watched it. It has been out for over ten years. I was just late watching it. I stayed away from it, because I am not a fan of Jamie Foxx. I think he is just over rated as an actors. As a singer, he likes to sing about date raping drunk women, so how do you really think he is. I know it is stupid, but that keeps me from liking him. I'm just not a big fan.

That being said. Foxx was great in the role. He almost even looked like Charles when he was young. He got it all fit. You could see the emotions in his face and body. The rest of the cast was brilliant. The best was  Regina King. She had that attitude down flat. You did not mess with her. Loved it.

They included the historical events in the movie that was changing music and society as a whole. I was shocked to know that he was a junkie. Who would have thought that he loved smack, but you have to look at how many blues and jazz singers and musicians that were using heroin to keep going.


This movie was so well made that it was a given that it won so many awards. There was almost no flaws in the movie at all. This is a movie that I would recommend for anyone to watch, whether you are a fan of his music or not. It is just a good movie. Enjoy.



Ray (2004) Trailer

No comments: