Tuesday, March 1, 2016

The Last Winter (2006)

Director: Larry Fessenden

Stars: Ron Perlman, James Le Gros, Connie Britton

The American oil company North Corporation is building an ice road to explore the remote Northern Arctic National Wildlife Refuge seeking energy independence. Independent environmentalists work together in a drilling base headed by the tough Ed Pollack in a sort of agreement with the government, approving procedures and sending reports of the operation. When one insane team member is found dead naked on the snow, the environmentalist James Hoffman suspects that sour gases may have been accidentally released in the spot provoking hallucinations and insanity in the group. After a second fatal incident, he convinces Ed to travel with the team to a hospital for examination. However, weird events happen trapping the group in the base.

What a weak movie. The movie started out like The Thing, so I thought it was going to be a rip-off of that. That would not have really bothered me that much as long it was good. The movie ended up more like The Shining than anything else. The beginning of the movie was really slow, but that normally means that it is really going to get fast and intense. This movie sped up a bit, but it was just flat. I just did not get it at all.

The sad part abort the movie was that when Ron Perlman is even in a bad movie, he is still good in it. You just did not care about his character at all or any of the characters for that matter. It was nice to see James Le Gros in a movie again. Apparently he has been in lots of stuff, just nothing that I card to see. I thought he fell off the end of Hollywood.


This movie just flat bored me to tears. I really gave it a chance, but it just failed. It was made well, and the acting was not bad. It was the story and the script that needed a lot of help. I would not recommend this movie to anyone. I would not ever watch it again. I say skip this one. I watched it, so you don't have to.

The Last Winter (2006) Trailer

No comments: