Friday, March 4, 2016

Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)

Director: Benh Zeitlin

Stars: Quvenzhané Wallis, Dwight Henry, Levy Easterly

Hushpuppy is an intrepid six-year-old girl that lives with her father, Wink, in the Bathtub, in a southern Delta community at the edge of the world. Wink's tough love prepares her for the unraveling of the universe, and for a time when he's no longer there to protect her. When Wink contracts a mysterious illness, nature flies out of whack, temperatures rise, and the ice caps melt, unleashing an army of prehistoric creatures called aurochs. With the waters rising, the aurochs coming, and Wink's health fading, Hushpuppy goes in search of her lost mother.

I know this was an  much talked about movie that brought buzz all over the movie industry. It was a good movie, but I do not think it was that good. The story was interesting but at times bland. The little girl and some of the other children would have been better off in other families. All these people did was drink and yell. Wink was nothing but a drunk that did not know how to take care of a child. I am not even going to mention the gigantic boars that pop up.

I thought the acting was well preformed. They seemed like real people. The story was interesting, but I just had a problem with the movie. I liked the movie. I just think that the characters were too much. I know people that live off the land, and they are nothing like these people. These characters were angry, crazy and drunk. They all were even dirty all the time. These people did not have any pride in themselves or their own family. They were raising children in make shift shacks made from thick cardboard and old metal. The "houses" were filled with old garbage. That is not a safe environment for a small child. I do not know of any one person that would do that. I know they are out there.


This movie was a good and bad movie for me. It is worth watching, but I do not know about rewatching it. It just seemed like a onetime thing for me.

Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012) Trailer

No comments: